Any prospective homebuyer knows this situation well. You’re set up for a viewing but when you get there the condition is less than ideal. Maybe the toilets are dirty, or the cluttered kitchen is hiding its full potential. Immediately, you’re turned off and you’ve moved on to another property.
For the owner, that’s sale opportunity lost.
In a lot cases, buyers can’t really see beyond what’s in front of them. A messy place not only makes your home harder to see, it can cost you money.
Depending on who you talk to in the real estate industry, a messy home compared to a clean house could fetch up to a $20,000 swing.
That’s a lot of money for a weekend of washing walls, decluttering, taking the trash out, running the vacuum and putting some elbow grease.
There are few simple things during this time of year that can help make your home stand out above the rest.
1) While winter can be lovely, it can also get a little messy. Especially around the yard with all those snowy and muddy days. If you want to boost the curb appeal before prospective buyers step foot in your home, you’ll want to make sure you clean your walkways. Don’t be afraid to take advantage of a dry day to keep your garden looking presentable. A little maintenance goes a long way!
2) Winter is all about colour. It’s time to put away all those bright colours for the more earthy tones of
the season. If you’re not sure, those are browns, greys, orange and greens. Change your bed spreads, pillows and rugs to match the season. It doesn’t hurt to throw up a fresh coat of paint or an accent wall in an olive or burnt orange hue.
3) Winter also seems to have a smell. And you can recreate that in your home. The fresh scent of cinnamon or ginger are perfect for the season. You don’t want to go overboard, but nothing feels more welcoming then a home that smells of love and food. You can also decorate your home with the fruit of the season in a decorative bowl. It doesn’t even have to be in the kitchen. It can be right at the front entrance.
4) The change of season is a great time to make sure your maintenance is up to date. For the exterior, that means cleaning your gutters, windows and deck. If you have a pool, making sure it’s properly covered and tucked away for the winter. Inside, make sure the furnace and all your electrical components are working including your appliances. Nothing turns off a buyer more than looking at a home in disrepair.
5) The days are short and the weather tends to be a little unpredictable, so you’ll want to ensure your home is bright. If you’ve got some burned out lights both inside and out, replace them. And before a buyer comes in for showing, turn on all your lights. Keep your blinds and curtains open to let in as much light.
If you’re about to put your prized possession on the market, treat it like one and take pride in ownership.
For more information on how we can help with Home Ownership please contact us at 905 357 5366.
DLC BTB Mortgage Solutions FSCO 12039
Niagara’s largest Mortgage Broker
106- 5017 Victoria Ave Niagara Falls L2E4C9
T 905 357 5366 F 905 357 6654 Website www.beatthebankmortgage.ca
Download My FREE Mortgage Toolbox App https://www.dlcapp.ca/app/michael-distefano?lang=en
APPLY ONLINE ANYTIME http://betterthanbankmortgage.com/mortgages/how-to-apply/
Check out our full line of DLC Visa cards http://betterthanbankmortgage.com/visa-cards/